; 'Cause The Skinny Bxtch Said So.: To HBCU Or Not To HBCU...

Saturday, January 30, 2010

To HBCU Or Not To HBCU...

I have completed my college process [finally!] and I am now just chilling for acceptance letters. A few people I know are applying to HBCUs and I can't help but wonder if I should feel guilty for not applying to one. I can get into an HBCU in 2 seconds so me getting in is not the problem. It's that I feel like I would not fit in at one. All through high school I was like "I'm gonna go to Spelman, be an AKA, and live like they did on A Different World!" Humph! Oh how that dream died when I actually went to visit Spelman over Columbus weekend. I didn't mind that it was all girls because Morehouse is right there and it's not like I will be fcking people during class [that would be hilarious tho lol] but it is the type of girls there that I couldn't handle. The girls were either straight hood or horrendously sadity. There was no medium and me being from NYC, I need a medium because I can be a lil too much for people who aren't like me lol. Then I LOVEDDDD Howard but their administration is trash. They are always losing shit and I would hate to be one of the kids who doesn't have a dorm room. I'll be damned if I have to move off campus. Also DC wasn't pretty for me. It looked rougher than NYC lol. I felt all types of unsafe walking around that area. I would love to apply to Howard but I know I will be very distracted there between the parties and fashion, no work will be done. In general I know I wouldn't love an HBCU because I need diversity. I've been in an all black & hispanic school [elementary] then an all white school [junior high] and now I am in a very diverse high school. I love knowing all types of people and having a peek into their culture and things of that nature. I don't know man. Chances are I will apply to Howard but I don't know if I will go and I don't wanna take that spot from someone who will.

But what I do know is whenever their homecoming goes down I WILL BE THERE!

1 comment:

  1. howard is hood but so is spelman and morehouse. and you are right about being no medium in spelman, well from first impressions there is no middle ground but once you actually stay there or hang out with people from there you meet alot of new people and realize not all are ghetto and not all are sedity. try visiting on a weekend and get to know people.. also when you enroll in spelman they pair you with a brother from morehouse and that also makes your process alot smoother there

    ReplyDelete